The opening of the new wharekai building, Hakuiao at Otakou Marae was a milestone day for Te Runaka O Otakou. The blessing and opening of Hakuiao fell on the 173rd anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi at Otakou, June 13, 1840. The runaka hosted a significant number of people from a wide range of organisations and regions at the powhiri. The generosity of the hosts was also evident in the sumptuous kai served at the table with tuaki (cockles), titi (muttonbird), koura (crayfish) and many other tempting dishes for the large group of manuhiri. With its excellent kitchen, dining and sleeping areas, Hakuiao its something that Te Runaka O Otakou and all Kai Tahu can be justifiably proud. A great achievement, that will serve its people well for many years to come. Kiaora.
Portobello Community Incorporated is a community group that works on the Otago Peninsula to promote and develop assets and events for residents and visitors. This website has been developed to get people involved with their community and inform them of the great things going on in their area.
- Otago Peninsula Museum open April 11, 2021 at 12:30 pm – 3:30 pm Otago Peninsula Museum and Historical Society, 17 Harington Point Road, Portobello, Dunedin 9014, New Zealand
- Badminton April 11, 2021 at 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm Coronation Hall, Portobello Info: Geoff 03 4780 688
- Peninsula Playcentre April 12, 2021 at 9:30 am – 12:30 pm 22 Harington Point Rd See Playcentre page for more information.
- Steady As You Go—Strength and Balance April 12, 2021 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am Portobello Bowling Club, 5 Sherwood St Enquiries: Margaret 477 1040 x702
- Steady As You Go—Tai Chi April 12, 2021 at 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm Portobello Bowling Club, 5 Sherwood St Enquiries: Margaret 477 1040 x702
View older posts