The opening of the new wharekai building, Hakuiao at Otakou Marae was a milestone day for Te Runaka O Otakou. The blessing and opening of Hakuiao fell on the 173rd anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi at Otakou, June 13, 1840. The runaka hosted a significant number of people from a wide range of organisations and regions at the powhiri. The generosity of the hosts was also evident in the sumptuous kai served at the table with tuaki (cockles), titi (muttonbird), koura (crayfish) and many other tempting dishes for the large group of manuhiri. With its excellent kitchen, dining and sleeping areas, Hakuiao its something that Te Runaka O Otakou and all Kai Tahu can be justifiably proud. A great achievement, that will serve its people well for many years to come. Kiaora.
Portobello Community Incorporated is a community group that works on the Otago Peninsula to promote and develop assets and events for residents and visitors. This website has been developed to get people involved with their community and inform them of the great things going on in their area.
- Smiths Creek Working Bee October 20, 2019 at 10:00 am – 1:00 pm Bacon St, Broad Bay Weather permitting.
- Church service October 20, 2019 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am Portobello Presbyterian Church, 22 Harington Point Rd
- Toy Library open October 20, 2019 at 10:30 am – 12:30 pm Portobello Domain
- Badminton October 20, 2019 at 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm Coronation Hall, Portobello Info: Geoff 03 4780 688
- Peninsula Playcentre October 21, 2019 at 9:30 am – 12:30 pm 22 Harington Point Rd See Playcentre page for more information.
View older posts