The opening of the new wharekai building, Hakuiao at Otakou Marae was a milestone day for Te Runaka O Otakou. The blessing and opening of Hakuiao fell on the 173rd anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi at Otakou, June 13, 1840. The runaka hosted a significant number of people from a wide range of organisations and regions at the powhiri. The generosity of the hosts was also evident in the sumptuous kai served at the table with tuaki (cockles), titi (muttonbird), koura (crayfish) and many other tempting dishes for the large group of manuhiri. With its excellent kitchen, dining and sleeping areas, Hakuiao its something that Te Runaka O Otakou and all Kai Tahu can be justifiably proud. A great achievement, that will serve its people well for many years to come. Kiaora.
Portobello Community Incorporated is a community group that works on the Otago Peninsula to promote and develop assets and events for residents and visitors. This website has been developed to get people involved with their community and inform them of the great things going on in their area.
- Pilates Class May 21, 2018 at 5:45 pm – 6:45 pm Coronation Hall, Portobello $12. Contact Penny 0274 649180
- ★ Quiz Night (benefits Broad Bay Boating Club) May 22, 2018 at 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm The Kensington, 4 King Edward St No door sales: contact Ruth 0274780322 or Katrina 0276126071 for ticket info.
- Peninsula Playcentre May 23, 2018 at 9:30 am – 12:30 pm 22 Harington Point Rd See Playcentre page for more information.
- Library Book Bus May 23, 2018 at 9:45 am – 10:10 am Portobello School (except school holidays)
- Library Book Bus May 23, 2018 at 10:15 am – 11:00 am 1 Harington Point Rd
View older posts