Getting selected for a national team is a great achievement, being able to survive the rough and tumble of roller derby is another matter. Local Harwood woman Nic Hedley is about to accept that challenge on the international stage. The busy mother of three and Wharekai Co-ordinator for Te Runanga o Otakou has been selected as one of 20 New Zealand skaters to travel to Dallas in December. Roller Derby is a contact sport where teams score points by having a designated skater try to lap the opposing team while the remaining team members attempt to block and shield the scoring skater. Nic who skates in the local league under the name “Nicki Noxious” has been hard at work fundraising for her trip to the United States as derby is not a professional sport. Nic would like to say a special thank you to Tony Reid from the Portobello Hotel and the Peninsula community for getting behind her fundraising to date. She has also had assistance from local physiotherapy clinic owner Jim Webb from Integrated Health Otago for, making sure she is in top shape before her international tour. Good luck Nic and go hard!
Portobello Community Incorporated is a community group that works on the Otago Peninsula to promote and develop assets and events for residents and visitors. This website has been developed to get people involved with their community and inform them of the great things going on in their area.
- Smiths Creek Working Bee January 24, 2021 at 10:00 am – 1:00 pm Bacon St, Broad Bay Weather permitting.
- Toy Library open January 24, 2021 at 10:30 am – 12:30 pm Portobello Domain
- Otago Peninsula Museum open January 24, 2021 at 12:30 pm – 3:30 pm Otago Peninsula Museum and Historical Society, 17 Harington Point Road, Portobello, Dunedin 9014, New Zealand
- Badminton January 24, 2021 at 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm Coronation Hall, Portobello Info: Geoff 03 4780 688
- Peninsula Playcentre January 25, 2021 at 9:30 am – 12:30 pm 22 Harington Point Rd See Playcentre page for more information.
View older posts