The 2015 Relay for Life held in Dunedin was a great experience and one that local Peninsula people supported with generosity and energy. The Peninsula community were deeply saddened at the passing of Lyn Campbell from cancer in 2014. The relay provided a meaningful opportunity for local people, her family and her friends to honour Lyn and share some of her beautiful spirit with others. Lyn was passionate about growing lavender and creating products from its oil and flowers, and a hard-working group harvested lavender from her garden and used many of her unique recipes to make some beautiful products. These were used to fund-raise money for the Cancer Society’s cause and the team raised around $2,500. The 24 hour relay is a heady mixture of energy, fatigue and excitement with a few tears and plenty of smiles and laughter along the way. It’s a very purposeful event where people combine their desire to make a difference with their own experiences and those of their family and friends. The Peninsula team like all of the teams participating, showed great determination that was inspiring and uplifting. So to everyone from the Peninsula and all of Lyn’s family and friends, congratulations and well done. You really did Lyn proud.
Portobello Community Incorporated is a community group that works on the Otago Peninsula to promote and develop assets and events for residents and visitors. This website has been developed to get people involved with their community and inform them of the great things going on in their area.
- Portobello Library open August 16, 2018 at 11:00 am – 1:00 pm Coronation Hall, Portobello
- Steady As You Go—Tai Chi August 16, 2018 at 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm Portobello Bowling Club, 5 Sherwood St Enquiries: Margaret 477 1040 x702
- Smiths Creek Working Bee August 19, 2018 at 10:00 am – 1:00 pm Bacon St, Broad Bay Weather permitting.
- Church service August 19, 2018 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am Portobello Presbyterian Church, 22 Harington Point Rd
- Toy Library open August 19, 2018 at 10:30 am – 12:30 pm Portobello Domain
View older posts