Greeted by a glorious Mother’s Day morning members of Portobello Community Incorporated gave up their breakfast in bed or preparing it for mum, cleaning up litter around the township and outer areas. With a busy day in Portobello with the Peninsula Challenge event being held this was an opportunity to make our township shine a little brighter in the autumn sun. Among the bottles, cigarette packets and fast food wrappers four traffic cones were retrieved from the harbour on Harrington Point Road. Nature has an incredible ability to adapt and the cones were encrusted with chitons, tube worms and other sea life, many of which were removed and returned to the shoreline. With support from Keep Dunedin Beautiful who supplied bags and gloves the morning was a positive step to keep our area clean and tidy. It was also great to receive encouragement and words of thanks from cyclists and walkers passing by who praised our efforts.
Portobello Community Incorporated is a community group that works on the Otago Peninsula to promote and develop assets and events for residents and visitors. This website has been developed to get people involved with their community and inform them of the great things going on in their area.
- Portobello Library open August 16, 2018 at 11:00 am – 1:00 pm Coronation Hall, Portobello
- Steady As You Go—Tai Chi August 16, 2018 at 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm Portobello Bowling Club, 5 Sherwood St Enquiries: Margaret 477 1040 x702
- Smiths Creek Working Bee August 19, 2018 at 10:00 am – 1:00 pm Bacon St, Broad Bay Weather permitting.
- Church service August 19, 2018 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am Portobello Presbyterian Church, 22 Harington Point Rd
- Toy Library open August 19, 2018 at 10:30 am – 12:30 pm Portobello Domain
View older posts